The BDA is calling for its hospital and dental public health consultant members working at eligible employers in England to participate in two further rounds of industrial action. We will induce this membership cohort to participate in industrial action on the following dates, in tandem with their BMA counterparts, unless the government agrees to negotiate on rectifying pay erosion and reform of the pay review body:
07:00 on Monday 2 October until 07:00 on Thursday 5 October
Please note that, for the first time, this strike action is in coordination with
hospital dental trainees
The eligible trusts are:
- Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
- Ashford and St Peter's NHS Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust
- Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
- Department of Health and Social Care
- East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Medway NHS Foundation Trust
- Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Teaching NHS Trust
- Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS England
- North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
- Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust
- Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust
- Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn, NHS Foundation Trust
- The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
- University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
The ballot was carried out on a trust-by-trust basis, which means that BDA consultant members will only be permitted to strike in those trusts where 50 percent of members returned their ballot forms, and the majority of these voted for strike action. The ballot included only consultant members working in a hospital setting and dental public health consultants. Dental academic members were not included in this ballot and are not authorised to participate in any associated industrial action for consultants in England.
full results of the BDA’s ballot
Let’s get re-ballot ready #BDABallotReady
To be able to continue our campaign and take strike action, we are required by law to gain a fresh mandate from members for strike action through a ballot. We will need to re-ballot consultants in England in the coming months.
If you're a consultant or a dental public health consultant, we need you to make sure you're ballot ready so you can have your say on future strikes.
To be ballot ready, we need you to tell us your job role, employer and workplace. We're also legally required to undertake the ballot by post, so please also check that we have the correct home address on your BDA account.
Update your details – let us know your role, employer and workplace
Update your details
Check the BDA has the correct postal address for you
Check your address
- Get your colleagues ballot ready
Talk to your colleagues, let them know about the BDA’s campaign for fair pay.
Dental public health consultants
Please note that a clear mandate for strike action has been secured for dental public health consultants working in both NHS England (NHSE) and the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC).
Separately the BMA has announced that, although it won a wider national mandate for consultant members in England to undertake industrial action, it did not secure a mandate for medical public health consultants, which it treated as a separate ballot.
In response, the BDA will continue to call on our dental public health consultant members to take strike action on the dates outlined above. We recognise the importance of empowering dental public health consultants to participate given the clear appetite that has been expressed through the balloting process.