Friday 6 October 2017 Cheltenham Racecourse
|09:00 Registration and refreshments poster display|
|Session 3 – Understanding the anxious patient |
09:30 Dental anxiety, fears and phobias: acquisition and management
- Establish a basic understanding of the physiology and psychology behind dental anxiety
- Gain a knowledge of the acquisition of dental anxiety and its multifactorial nature
- Develop an understanding of management strategies and care pathways for dentally anxious and phobic patients.
Leah Adams, GDP, Arnica Dental Care, Cheltenham
10.15 Safeguarding in dentistry: what dentists need to know about the impact of abuse
- Who has the legal responsibility for a child?
- The lasting impact of abuse on survivors and how that can affect their ability to look after their teeth
- Your responsibilities.
Joanna Nicolas, Child Protection Consultant and Trainer
|11:00 Patient experience|
|11:15 Refreshments, exhibition and poster display|
Session 4 – Urgent care for the patient in pain
11:45 The trials and tribulations of local anaesthesia: tips on success and potential pitfalls
- Understand recent developments in pain diagnosis and management
- What local anaesthetics to use and where
- What systemic complications can arise from LA and how best to avoid them
Tara Renton, Professor Oral Surgery, Kings College London
12:45 Lunch, exhibition and poster display
Raffle prize winners on display
13:35 Minor oral surgery for the urgent care patient
- Discuss the assessment and planning for minor oral surgery
- Review instruments and equipment
- Explore techniques for extraction and failure
- Review managing acute infection.
Chris Bell, Associate Specialist and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Oral Surgery and Dental Science, Bristol Dental Hospital
14:25 When does urgent become emergency for the dental patient?
- Understanding the implications of deep neck fascial infection in urgent dental care
- Early identification of a developing dental emergency situation
Barry G Main, National Institute for Health Research Clinical Lecturer in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Bristol
15:15 Open Forum __________________________________________________________
15:45 Annual General Meeting (for BDA members) _______________________________________________________
More info: Thursday's programme