Preparing for retirement 2022, London
To book a place on an event you must be logged into the website
Attend an event if you don't have a BDA website ID
Email a friend
Email these event details to a friend
Preparing for retirement
A comprehensive and independent guide to retirement planning
LONDON | Friday 18 March 2022
CHESTER | Friday 17 June 2022
BDA's longstanding Preparing for retirement seminar is back as a face to face event! This one-day seminar will guide you through the financial, legal and emotional aspects you need to consider when planning your retirement.
This seminar provides the participant with a comprehensive guide to planning their retirement.
- Understand what is needed when pre-retirement planning
- Examine the benefits of the NHS pension
- Identify what is required when planning at the retirement stage
- Learn how to maximise value and minimise tax when you retire
- Evaluate what your practice is worth
- Understand the legal aspects of disposing of your practice
- Prevent post-sale problems arising from clinical care
seminar provides the participant with the tools needed to
successfully start planning their retirement and manage the issues
associated with the sale of their practice. This is done through a
series of seven lectures.
How to book
are currently unable to accept payment by cheque and bookings by post.
Therefore please book online, over the phone or email a completed
booking form to firstname.lastname@example.org**|
Login / register to the BDA website
020 7563 4590
By booking form
Print, complete then return
a booking form
To book online:
Login to the BDA website first. Then use the pink 'Register' button at the top right of this page.
Please note: If you have a GDC number you can use the online system. You do not need to be a BDA member.
If you do not already have a BDA website username and password, fill in this form and we'll set you up with a username and temporary password.
If booking online, please email email@example.com with any dietary requirements.
Early-bird price available until Sunday 6 February 2022 - save up to £50!
Full day price (5 1/2 hours CPD)
BDA members: £195 £145
Non-members: £275 £225
Dental Care Professionals: £145 £95
Half day AM only price* (3 hours CPD)
BDA members: £115 £90
Non-members: £165 £140
Dental Care Professionals: £85 £60
*Up to 20 places available for half-day AM only delegates
All costs includes refreshments and a standing buffet lunch. This event is exempt from VAT.
"Very well presented, lots of useful information, thank you!"
Preparing for retirement, Birmingham 2019
||Registration, refreshments and exhibition
||Opening remarks from the Chair
- Changing rules – threats and opportunities
- Start with the end in mind
- Making the most of what you've got
- Understanding and managing risks
- Tax effectiveness
Daniel James, Director of Client Services, Lloyd & Whyte
||A pension perspective
- To understand the benefits provided by the NHS pension schemes
- To outline state pension entitlements, including the State Pension age, state pension increases and how to maximise state pension entitlement
- To be informed of any other current developments concerning pensions.
Colin Williams, Independent Financial Adviser, Lloyd & Whyte
||Morning refreshments and exhibition
||Planning at retirement
- Pension freedoms – what does it mean
- Accessing and managing your income
- Legacy and inheritance planning.
Daniel James, Director of Client Services, Lloyd & Whyte
||Maximising value, and minimising tax, when you retire
- Tax planning for employed, self-employed and incorporated dentists
- Tips for making sure your NHS pension is correctly recorded
- Maximising practice sale proceeds
- Taxation of your retirement income
- Action now for a tax eﬃcient retirement.
Alan Suggett, Dental Partner, UNW Chartered Accountants
||Lunch and exhibition
||What is your practice worth?
- How do I plan my successful exit?
- How is my practice goodwill defined?
- How can I maximise the value of my practice?
- What are the three most important considerations when I sell?
- An overview of the current dental market.
Peter Cummings, Practice Valuation Manager, MediEstates
Legal aspects of disposing your practice
- Understanding the process involved in selling the practice and what information you will need to provide
- Explaining the difference between share sales and asset sales
- Tips for making the transaction run smoothly
- Examining the legal costs involved
- Issues arising in relation to the transfer of NHS contracts
- CQC issues and dealing with them successfully.
Ray Goodman, Chairman, Goodman Grant Solicitors
||Afternoon refreshments and exhibition
||Preventing post-sale problems arising from clinical care
- Problems with patient complaints when you retire - how immune are you really?
- What are the dento-legal risks of the sale process?
- What to do clinically before and during a sale to minimise the risk of problems for you on your retirement
- Reviewing how the standard of your dental care could potentially affect your sale price
- What to do if the buyer, or one of your patients, knocks on your door and claims you have been negligent.
Lynn Stephens, Dento-legal Advisor, BDA
||Close of seminar
About the speakers
Practice Valuation Manager, MediEstates
Peter has over 25 years’ experience in the Dental industry working for both an industry leading corporate and also independent dental marketing companies. His expertise includes business development, marketing and sales, recruitment, project management and team management. Peter is responsible for conducting detailed business appraisals and valuations with practice owners to assist them with their exit strategy. His extensive knowledge of all aspects of dentistry enables him to provide valuable market insight and advice which is tailored specifically to the dental practice owners business.
Chairman, Goodman Grant Solicitors
Ray is the Chairman of Goodman Grant Solicitors, a dedicated dental law firm that specialises in the sale and purchase of dental practices. Ray is also the Past Chairman of the Lawyers group of NASDAL (National Association of Dental Accountants and Lawyers), and a Member of the Association of Specialist Providers for Dentists (ASPD). Through providing legal services to dentists and the dental industry for over 20 years Ray has a comprehensive understanding of the commercial and professional objectives of dental practices, along with the relevant legal requirements.
Director of Client Services, Lloyd & Whyte
Daniel has been helping dentists prepare for a financially secure retirement for over 20 years, as Director and Independent Financial Adviser at Lloyd & Whyte. With over 20 years’ experience in the financial services industry, Daniel appreciates the unique requirements associated with the dental profession, and how to make more of your money in when approaching retirement age and beyond.
Dento-legal Advisor, BDA
Lynn brings over 20 years experience as a GDP and practice owner, and 15 years of dento-legal experience. Lynn managed the landmark Judicial Review of Powys LHB in 2014 which overturned the disallowing of NHS fees on the grounds that a full clinical examination had not been recorded and was therefore deemed not to have taken place. In 2015 the Court of Appeal confirmed the High Court’s decision to rule in favour of the dentists involved.
Dental Partner, UNW Chartered Accountants
Alan is a Chartered Accountant and partner in charge of the Dental Business Unit of UNW LLP chartered Accountants (currently acting for more than 500 dentists). Alan writes regularly for the dental press. He is also a member of ASPD, and the National Association of Specialist Dental Accountants and Lawyers (NASDAL) and a member of the technical committee. Alan is the editor of the quarterly NASDAL goodwill survey which analyses all member client practice sales and valuation.
Independent Financial Adviser, Lloyd & Whyte
Colin has over 20 years’ experience in helping dentists with their financial planning as a Senior Independent Financial Adviser with Lloyd & Whyte . He appreciates the unique circumstances that many dentists have, in terms of their working lives and their retirement options, with consideration to the NHS pension scheme. He learnt very early on that people are very individual and so their financial plans should also reflect their individual needs and desires.
Thank you to our sponsors - Goodman Grant and MediEstates
||Goodman Grant Solicitors
Headed by NASDAL Lawyers Group Past Chairman Ray Goodman and ASPD Past Chairman John Grant, there is no law firm in the country better equipped to provide solutions to dentists' legal issues. With over 75 years combined experience and the largest team of specialist dental lawyers in the country, Goodman Grant has a comprehensive understanding of the commercial and professional objectives of dental practices, along with the relevant legal requirements. We are experienced in dealing with the intricacies of dental law which enables us to efficiently handle the specific requirements of the dental industry. As a specialist practice our team deals with dental practice transactions on a national basis from our offices in Liverpool, Leeds and London we are well equipped to assist dentist from buying and selling a dental practice, employment advice, dispute resolution, CQC and regulatory matters. Together with our dental practice sales and valuations team, we are the one-stop-shop for all your dental business needs.
MediEstates is a family run business that has grown and developed alongside the dental industry and is now acknowledged as the largest specialist broker of Dental Practices in the UK. Our signature approach, personable yet highly driven, has seen us set the benchmark service standards within the sector. Selling your practice can be a difficult time, our expert advice is there to ease the process and inform you at every stage. Alongside our sister companies of MediCruit and MediFinancial we form the UK’s largest dental consultancy company and have the know-how to make your sale as effortless as we can.
Venue and location
British Dental Association*
64 Wimpole Street, London W1G 8YS
Nearest underground: Bond Street (Central and Jubilee lines) and Oxford Circus (Bakerloo and Central lines)
* Please note the venue may be subject to change. If we change the venue, we will update the website as well as email you with new venue details.
Please note the below map will not display if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser. To view the map, please use Firefox or Microsoft Edge
Enhanced measures will be in place to keep delegates, staff and speakers safe during this event;
- Space for delegates to spread out as needed
Frequent cleaning throughout the day
Flexibility to transfer to a future course date should you find yourself prevented from attending due to the requirement to self-isolate or onset of COVID-related symptoms
These guidelines are constantly reviewed and may change before the event takes place.
The seminar meets the educational criteria set by the GDC for CPD (5 1/2 hours) and is certified by the British Dental Association.
Should you have any questions regarding this seminar please email the team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full terms and conditions (including cancellation policy)