What the Lindsay Society does
Dental Historian is the journal of the Lindsay Society the History of Dentistry.
Its contents are wide-ranging, to be of interest both to researchers and general readers.
It includes results of recent research, memories of the profession and other relevant information.
The journal is usually published twice-yearly and is indexed on Medline. It is free to members.
Contents of the latest issue - July 2019:
Leicester City, the University and the Roger Bettles Sports Centre
- Facial wound case management in the 18th and 21st centuries
- A dentist's input into archaeology
- History of the UK regional orthodontic consultant service - Walter Crane and the BDA Wessex Branch
- Thamesmead, health care and community dental education
- Roger Puybouffat - dentist, communist and French Resistance member
- British Orthodontic Society museum and archive
- Analysis of forensic dental cases over the past 30 years in Scotland
- St Apollonia celebration by the Dental Association of Malta
- The Ballards and the NHS
- Exemption from active service for dentists during the First World War
Submission of an article
Anyone with the results of historical research or a relevant story to tell is welcome to submit a paper for publication.
If you would like to do this please send it as an email attachment to Margaret Wilson, Editor, email@example.com.
Dental Historian is sent free to members of the Lindsay Society.
Non-members wishing to purchase a single issue can do so by sending a cheque for £16 sterling made out to the Lindsay Society to the Distribution Manager, Dr G Garnett, Hey Barn, Back Lane, Newton-in-Bowland, Clitheroe, Lancs, BB7 3EE.
Annual Conference 2019
Join us for our annual conference on Friday 4th – Sunday 6th October 2019 in Leicester.
The Saturday and Sunday morning lecture sessions will be an eclectic mix of thought provoking, surprising and amusing talks covering many aspects of dental history.
Lilian Lindsay Memorial Lecture 2019
Popular lecturer, Kevin Lewis will deliver the Memorial Lecture in May 2019. Full details to follow.
Previous conferences 2018
A hugely successful conference in Glasgow at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. Delegates enjoyed inspiring and interesting speakers and a fascinating visit to see the dental collection at the Surgeons' Hall Museums in Edinburgh.
For more information about the annual conference please contact the Honorary Secretary Dr Brian Williams.